If you have your own website you might want to make it attractive for visitors because a website is essentially a cyber manifestation of the person or organisation that owns it. It is your identity in cyber space and unless it is attractive it may not gain acceptance. It could cost a lot of money to set up a website. Just imagine for a moment that you set up a site spending thousands of dollars and do every right thing from search engine optimisation to social media branding but visitors don’t stay on the site for long. The whole exercise becomes pointless. Here are a few design tips that will help you make your site attractive.
- Make your site fast loading: People need fast results these days and you cannot blame them. If your website takes ages to load, chances are that the visitor will cancel the browser tab and look for other alternatives. You do not want that to happen. Even seconds may feel like an eternity when waiting for a website to load. The best way to make your site fast loading is to use more text and fewer graphics. There are some users who don’t have blazing internet speeds. So keep their needs in mind.
- Make it easy to navigate: Your website must be easy to navigate. If your visitor has to click 10 links to get somewhere then he will lose interest. It is may be quite alarming for you to know that you will lose 50% of visitors every time you make them click. Design your website in such a way that they reach where they want in five or less clicks.
- Use suitable colours: Black text on white background is the most suitable. You may want to add attractive colours but make sure the text is posted on a white background. The visitor must not have any trouble in reading the script off the screen.
- Pop-ups: Pop-ups are very good marketing tools and sometimes they lead to good response. But make sure that you do not go overboard with pop-ups. A majority of visitors hate pop-ups that they have to cancel every now and then. Some of them are even wary that clicking on them will invite malware onto their systems. So it is not advisable to add pop-ups. Use pop-ups only when you have something of high value to sell and if you are absolutely sure that the visitor on that page will click on the pop-up. Otherwise it is pointless.
- Make sure you know what you want: why do you want to create a website? Make sure you know the answer to this question and ask yourself the same whenever you have a doubt about the website design. Owning a website is not the ‘be all end all’ of the game. The website needs to be popular and satisfy the purpose for what it was created. Instead of creating a thing of beauty you should focus on creating something that sells.
Author Bio: Travis Howard is an experienced freelance writer and is currently cooperating with EssaysOrigin.com, an engaging essay writing reviews platform to help customers choose best writing company from the web.